This Conquer Weeknights with this Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup post includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. Thank you for your support!
Conquer Weeknights with this Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup
How do I know that this easy, vegan soup is the perfect recipe to conquer weeknights? Because this Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup sprung from the ever-present question: what’s for dinner tonight?
You might think that because I write a food blog that I have my family’s meal plan dialed in. But you would be wrong. I, like many of you, struggle to come up with tasty, plant-based meals on a daily basis. And that’s where recipes like this Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup come in.
Mushroom Lentil Soup: Quick, Easy & Healthy
This vegan soup recipe checks so many boxes. It’s super easy to put together, especially if you have an Instant Pot. It’s also packed with plenty of healthy ingredients, including onions, garlic, mushrooms & brown lentils.
Making the Broth for this Mushroom Lentil Soup
I like to make my own mushrooms broth when I make this soup. And while this might sound like extra work, it’s pretty hand’s off. It’s just a matter of pressure cooking the mushrooms in water before adding the other ingredients to the soup.
Why do this instead of just throwing everything in the Instant Pot and walking away?
Flavor. Layers of flavor.
Taking the time to sauté the onions, garlic and Italian seasoning in the tomato paste and olive oil, awakens the deep, rich flavors that these ingredients provide.
Do You Love This Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup Recipe?
Do you love this Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup recipe? Be sure to check out my vegan soups! If you’re into chili, try a twist with my Vegan Enchilada Soup! Forever-searching for a creamy, delicious, dairy-free soup? Then you’ll love my Vegan Potato Cauliflower Soup!
Looking for an easy way to put a vegan dinner on the table? This vegan enchilada soup is easy, tasty and healthy! It’s a one-pot dish reminiscent of one of my favorite vegan Southwest dishes – black bean and sweet potato enchiladas.
This thick, rich potato soup gets its depth-of-flavor from one of my favorite plant-based ingredients – miso paste! This umami-forward ingredient is coupled with roasted cauliflower, slow-cooked onions and garlic and herbs for a truly delicious vegan potato cauliflower soup!
What’s in My Kitchen to Make This Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup Easier?
Want to know what tools and resources I keep on hand to make my vegan cooking even easier? Here’s a short list of what helped me create this blog post and recipe. For the complete list, visit my Shop where you can find the kitchen gadgets I like as well as a list of books that I recommend.
Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms washed & sliced
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning blend
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 carrots washed & sliced
- 3 stalks celery washed & sliced
- 1 cup brown lentils rinsed & picked free of debris
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- Add the sliced mushrooms and water to the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes with a natural release.
- While the mushroom broth is pressure cooking, dice the onion, mince the garlic and slice the carrots and celery.
- When the mushroom broth is ready, strain the broth from the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, olive oil and salt to the Instant Pot and set to sauté. Sauté the mushrooms and onions until browned.
- Add the garlic, Italian seasoning and tomato paste to the Instant Pot. Continue cooking until the tomato paste has become dark red.
- Add the sliced carrots, celery and lentils to the Instant Pot. Stir to coat the vegetables and lentils in tomato paste.
- Add the mushroom broth to the Instant Pot and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes with a natural release.
- When the soup is done, add the fresh lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with crusty bread.
- Don’t have an Instant Pot? Don’t worry. You can make this soup on the stove too. Follow the directions as described, but all the mushroom broth is simmer, covered, on the stove for an hour and for at least 30 minutes after adding the lentils.
About Herbivore’s Kitchen
Herbivore’s Kitchen is a plant-based food blog started by me, a vegan home chef, cookbook author, aspiring food photographer and how-to-be-a-better-food-blogger junkie. You’ll mostly find creative and tasty vegan recipes and detailed deep dives into vegan ingredients (check out my Vegucation section) on my blog. I love knowing as much as I can about the food that I make. I’m also really into running a food blog as a business, so I’ve also got a section of my blog titled: Confessions of a Food Blogger where I get into the nitty gritty on how to build, manage, market and monetize a food blog.