This Dairy Free Corn Chowder: Stay Cozy This Winter with This Easy, Healthy Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. Thank you for your support!
Stay Cozy This Winter with This Easy, Healthy Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
I am always looking for easy, healthy recipes that come together quickly. Dairy-free, vegan soups are one of my go-to weeknight meals because they’re warm, one-pot wonders that seemingly satisfy everyone around my table.
Getting It Done with Dairy Free Corn Chowder
This vegan corn chowder recipe has a top spot in my household. It’s wonderfully creamy, despite being 100% dairy free. Its sweetness comes from pureed sweet potato and corn (also lending to its thick consistency), while chipotle peppers provide a spicy kick.
How to Make Vegan Corn Chowder
This vegan corn chowder recipe comes together easily. I make it in my Instant Pot, which allows for pressure cooking, sauteing, simmering and slow cooking.
This plant-based soup starts with sautéed onions and garlic. Then I add other flavors in layers, starting with diced green chilies, cumin and chili powder. This vegan soup’s kick comes from chipotle sauce, which you’ll find in the ethnic section of most grocery stores.
Using frozen sweet corn and canned, diced tomatoes keep this dairy-free corn chowder recipe quick and easy. Then I toss some diced sweet potatoes to provide a healthy boost (as well as to thicken the soup).
While my Instant Pot is busy slow-cooking this vegan corn chowder to perfection, I work on a selection of soup toppings, including pickled red onions, diced avocados, fresh cilantro, lime wedges and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Or not. Depending on the day. Some days, I leave the Instant Pot to work alone on the countertop while I get in a few ski runs or go out for a winter walk. I like to think of it as my well-trained sous chef!
How to Make This Dairy Free Corn Chowder on the Stovetop
No Instant Pot? No worries! This vegan soup is still a one-pot wonder on the stove. Just follow the directions below in a stock pot on the stove. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes (or until the sweet potatoes are soft). Then blend with an immersion blender until smooth and serve.
Do You Love This Dairy Free Corn Chowder Recipe?
Do you love this easy, healthy, vegan corn chowder recipe? Be sure to check out dairy free soups! If you’re into light and creamy vegan soups, then my Asparagus White Bean Soup is for you! Forever-searching for a hearty plant-based soup? Then you’ll love my Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup!
In keeping with the theme of using just a few simple ingredients, this one pot vegan asparagus soup recipe gets it done using only fresh asparagus, white beans, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, coconut milk and a few other kitchen staples.
How do I know that this easy, vegan soup is the perfect recipe to conquer weeknights? Because this Instant Pot Mushroom Lentil Soup sprung from the ever-present question: what’s for dinner tonight?
What’s In My Kitchen to Dairy Free Corn Chowder Easier?
Want to know what tools and resources I keep on hand to make my vegan cooking even easier? Here’s a short list of what helped me create this blog post and recipe. For the complete list, visit my Amazon Shop where you can find the kitchen gadgets I like as well as a list of books that I recommend.
Dairy Free Corn Chowder (Slow Cooker)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp chili pwder
- 1 7 oz can chipotle sauce
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb frozen sweet corn + additional sweet corn as optional garnishment
- 2 sweet potatoes washed and diced
- pickled red onions as optional garnishment (find the recipe here)
- toasted pepitas as optional garnishment (find the recipe here)
- avocado diced
- fresh cilantro washed & torn
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil, diced onions and salt to your slow cooker (set to sauté).
- Sauté the onions, stirring frequently, until the onions start to brown. About 6-8 minutes.Add the minced garlic, diced green chilies, cumin, chili powder and chipotle sauce.
- Continue cooking until fragrant. About 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, water, frozen sweet corn and sweet potatoes. Cover and slow cook on high for 4-6 hours.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until thick and creamy. Serve immediately with additional sweet corn, pickled red onions, toasted pepitas, diced avocado, fresh cilantro and fresh ground pepper as optional garnishments.
- No Instant Pot? No problem. Just mimic this recipe in a stock pot and allow all of the ingredients to simmer for 20 minutes (covered) or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Then blend and serve!
About Herbivore’s Kitchen
Herbivore’s Kitchen is a plant-based food blog started by me, a vegan home chef, cookbook author, aspiring food photographer and how-to-be-a-better-food-blogger junkie. You’ll mostly find creative and tasty vegan recipes and detailed deep dives into vegan ingredients (check out my Vegucation section) on my blog. I love knowing as much as I can about the food that I make. I’m also really into running a food blog as a business, so I’ve also got a section of my blog titled: Confessions of a Food Blogger where I get into the nitty gritty on how to build, manage, market and monetize a food blog.